My son loves to wear the appropriate attire for whatever activity he’s participating in. If he is catcher in a family game of baseball, he will run into his room to find the best “baseball” outfit. Building something requires a toolbelt and hard hat. If cooking in the kitchen, he will grab an apron.
But nothing changes his demeanor like donning a superhero cape. He is suddenly stronger and more courageous because what he wears affects his attitude.
The mom in me wants to add a cape to his daily wardrobe because I know that as he grows, he will face many situations where strength and courage are needed and I want my boy to stand strong. But how can this happen when he is so young and the world needs more courageous people?
In Ephesians 6 Paul tells us to “put on the full armor of God” so that we can stand strong. Part of the armor is the “sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” It’s time to arm my son with truth that will provide him with unexplainable strength and courage.
10 Bible Verses for More Courageous Kids:
- “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” – Deuteronomy 31:8
- “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9
- “The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in Him.” – Nahum 1:7
- The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” – Psalm 18:2 “
- “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” – Psalm 56:3
- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and He will make your paths straight.” – Proverbs 3:5-6
- “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” – Isaiah 41:10
- “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” – John 14:27
- “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love.” – 1 Corinthians 16:13-14
- “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love, and self-discipline.” – 2 Timothy 1:7
We will keep his name-embroidered cape as a reminder of how my son ran faster and protected his mommy from whatever his imagination created. But because he won’t stay little very long, I will help him hide these verses of truth in his heart so that he will be able to truly fight fear and put on courage in God-sized amounts.